Friday, May 6, 2011

Women Build - Habitat for Humanity needs your help and Bon Jovi is involved

Guess what I'm doing tomorrow?  I'm taking part in the Toronto Habitat for Humanity Women Build project.  I am really excited about this and a little nervous.  I have no knowledge of any aspect of building a house but I think I'm about to learn.  So why on earth would I want to take part in something where I don't know a soul and have no skill?  Well the answers are simple (sort of).

First of all I love this project.  If anyone believes in the empowerment of families and pride of home ownership it's me.   Habitat for Humanity's mission statement says everything I believe in "To mobilize volunteers and community partners in building affordable housing and promoting homeownership as a means to breaking the cycle of poverty". There is so much I want to learn about Habitat and the best way is to roll up my sleeves and get in there.
                                                                 

The second reason is a little more selfish.  Mother's day is hard for me.  My mother died in March of 2009 and mother's day is the day I miss her the most.  I'm a mom myself so I would never let on to my kids how painful I find the day.  It's also my daughter's birthday.  She was born on mother's day and so I every year I share the day with her.  This year both kids are away living full and complete lives.  Yes I will get a call and at some point they will come around to see me but it's the time in between that is sure to get me down.  So when Habitat for Humanity invited me to be an angel on Mother's Day weekend I thought this would be a great way to spend the weekend with my mom the angel.  Giving back is so fulfilling and I've been truly blessed in my life. 

I'm a little nervous.  I don't know anyone who will be there except for Toolgirl Mag Ruffman who I met on twitter.  There are quite a few of Toronto's best of the best when it comes to females who will be leading the charge. I am going as a lone wolf.  No group of friends, no office chums, no corporate sponsor, just me.  So now for the money part.


I am going to raise $500 for this event.  I am asking everyone to help a very worthy family get a home of their own.  You can donate on line here:

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx?registrationID=1076404&langPref=en-CA

and there's more.......

So you all know I'm the biggest Bon Jovi promoter and I have a big surprise for you.  Everyone who donates to Habitat for Humanity under my link will be in a draw for a VIP Chair from Bon Jovi's latest tour.

                                                                                      



Donations must me made by 5:00 today May 6th.  Hopefully I will be loading up the chair and delivering it someone who can either give it to mom for a mother's day gift or to a mom herself who can sit her chair on Sunday and let the masses adore her.  If you're not in the GTA I can't guarantee you'll have the chair this weekend.  Hey - you can always sell it on ebay - they're a hot item. 



1 comment:

  1. Oh what a great cause and what a great way to give back!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are not only welcomed but encouraged. It is not expected that you will always agree with what I have to say. After all, it's an opinion.