Monday, January 10, 2011

Talk to a Financial Planner about Managing your debt? Give me a break!

I'm going insane.  Really really insane.  I'm wondering how all these articles and so called experts can give you financial advise.  Time and time again we see quotes from a major bank, a financial planning company, blah blah blah......

The biggest problem with Canadians and their finances is that there is nowhere to turn for unbiased advise.  Everyone in the financial world makes money by you doing something with the product they're talking about.  Sadly I'm no different.  FSCO (the Financial Services Commissioner of Ontario) dictates how I make money under my license.  And no where do I get to charge a fee to give you impartial advise. 


Here's one of the articles I'm talking about:
http://www.moneyville.ca/blog/post/917592--talk-to-an-advisor-about-managing-your-debt

So this article paints a cozy picture of you having a friendly chat with your financial planner at a major bank.  Just what do you think this employee's review will say at the end of the year if you never end up with a single product from their bank?  Well I'll tell you what it will say.... "customer's seen vs. closing ratio needs improvement".  I'm not saying banks are to blame.  They are in the business of making money not bailing you out of debt. They are in the business of reviewing your financial situation to see how they can make money for their shareholders.  As a shareholder I appreciate their efforts.  If they don't make lots of money my retirement plan goes south. 

But where is the service that pulls your credit bureau and goes over it with a fine tooth comb for you?  Where is the service that shows you how much actual interest you are paying on your debts vs. the interest rate disclosed?  Where is the service that looks at all the options across the board and makes recommendations and let's you pick and action the appropriate solution?  As near as I can tell it's not out there. 

I guess I rant because that would be my dream job.  I try to give as much free advise as I can but I have to close mortgages so my kids can go to University and I can plan to retire.  I see a lot of people and I can tell you there are no two mortgage applications alike.  In 25 years of credit this is way more complicated than a "debt consolidation" or "simple" savings plan.  At the end of the day I am dealing with people's relationship with money.  Some relationships are healthier than others.  Some are balanced and some are intense.  I learned a long time ago it's not about what you need it's about what you can manage. 

Anybody can do this!!  And I mean anybody.  If only I were independently wealthy and could spend my time helping others. :(


1 comment:

  1. I am planning to move out for my first time and I would like to know about how much do I need to have saved financial planning in order to live without worrying?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are not only welcomed but encouraged. It is not expected that you will always agree with what I have to say. After all, it's an opinion.